After giving birth, a woman’s attention is focused primarily on her new baby, with very little thought given to her own health and well-being. The Michigan Medicine Healthy Healing After Delivery Program is the first of its kind, offering support to women with postpartum-specific ailments from a team of experts who provide integrated care during a very challenging time.
The Healthy Healing After Delivery Program helps women who experience problems after childbirth, including the following:
- 3rd degree lacerations
- 4th degree lacerations
- Episiotomy issues
- Fecal incontinence
- Urinary incontinence
- Difficulty emptying the bladder
- Painful intercourse
- Pelvic floor dysfunction
Approximately 15 percent of new mothers end up needing treatment after giving birth for various reasons. These can include physical concerns, such as bladder leakage or vaginal tearing that did not heal correctly, and mental health concerns, like postpartum depression. Unfortunately, many women suffer in silence, without knowing that help is available and accessible.
Our program brings together a multidisciplinary team of physicians, nurses, continence specialists, physical therapists, counselors and more to provide comprehensive postpartum care to new mothers. Our program is available to any woman, regardless of where she delivered her baby.
Additional Services Offered by the Healthy Healing After Delivery Program
- Specialized diagnostic testing within the clinic
- Experts trained in postpartum care, including world-renowned urogynecologists, who partner with nursing consultants and social workers to provide a broad range of care
- Individualized assessment
- A comprehensive pelvic floor muscle-strengthening program
- Counseling for women who have concerns about their next pregnancy
- Prevention of future incontinence problems through diet and lifestyle changes
- Surgery, if needed
Resources for Moms After Childbirth
- The Fourth Trimester: Healing After Childbirth (Web chat)
- What Pregnant Moms Need to Know About the “Fourth Trimester” (Michigan Medicine Health Blog)
Why Choose Us
The Healthy Healing After Delivery Program was the first clinic of its kind in the United States when established in 2007. Today, our program offers a multidisciplinary approach to caring for women with pelvic floor symptoms and disorders following childbirth. We strive to be leaders in our field who provide comprehensive, patient-centered care, driven by research and focused on education, rehabilitation and innovative treatment.
Make an appointment
For more information or to make an appointment, please call 734-763-6295.