The University of Michigan Breast Care Center was one of the first of its kind, providing the most thorough, accurate and prompt evaluation possible to women with breast problems in a single visit. Our multidisciplinary treatment center, comprised of more than thirty breast disease experts, delivers advanced treatment in a patient-centered environment for benign, high risk, and cancerous breast problems.
Why Choose Us
- Experience – We have an established program with a history of providing unparalleled care for individuals with breast cancers and other conditions.
- Expertise – We are ranked by U.S. News & World Report as a leading program in both gynecology and cancer care.
- Team approach – Our integrated treatment teams consult with one another and include world-renowned breast care specialists representing several different fields including surgical oncology, medical oncology, genetics, pathology, radiology/breast imaging, breast reconstructive surgery, radiation oncology, gynecology, social work and nutrition.
- Research – We are recognized as a leading research center, which means our patients have access to the latest clinical trials, and benefit from being cared for by physicians involved in extensive research of these conditions.
What We Treat
We evaluate, diagnose and treat the scope of breast diseases and issues, including:
- Newly-diagnosed breast cancer
- Recurrent breast cancer
- Abnormal mammogram
- Any type of lump in the breast
- Breast pain or tenderness
- Breast inflammation
- Change in breast size
- Nipple discharge
- Fibrocystic breast disease (common and benign, usually with lumps and discomfort in the breasts)
- Benign and malignant tumors
- Family history of breast and/or ovarian cancer
While many changes in the breast aren’t cancer, it is important to schedule an appointment with your doctor if your breasts look or feel different.
One call to the Breast Care Center sets in motion all of the appointments, tests and consultations that will be necessary. Our Breast Imaging program offers a comprehensive system of diagnostic breast imaging services utilizing top-of-the-line equipment with more than 35,000 examinations performed each year, including mammography, ultrasound and MRI-guided breast biopsy.
Questions/Concerns about Breast Density?
The Michigan Breast Density Notification Law is in effect, which requires radiologists to notify a woman and her primary care physician should dense breast tissue be identified on her mammogram.
What To Expect at Your Appointment
- Prior to your appointment, we will work with you to identify and collect past test results, images and/or medical records for our specialists to review.
- We will conduct any additional imaging or diagnostic tests that need to be performed.
- Either a surgical oncologist or gynecologist – who specializes exclusively in breast care, genetic risk and gynecologic health for women dealing with breast diseases and cancers – will review your files and perform an initial exam.
- If you have already been diagnosed with breast cancer, your medical records, breast images, pathology/biopsy materials, and clinical findings will be reviewed comprehensively by our multidisciplinary Tumor Board, and you will participate in a specially-designed patient education program.
Your physician, along with our multidisciplinary team, will create your individualized care plan.
Comprehensive Breast Cancer Care in a Cutting-Edge Environment
While not all breast conditions are related to cancer, women should feel confident knowing that if they do receive a diagnosis of breast cancer – they are in good hands at the University of Michigan Breast Care Center. We work closely with the University of Michigan Rogel Cancer Center and other specialists throughout the U-M Health System to ensure a seamless care transition and collaboration among all our specialists.
Our outpatient breast cancer surgery program features a specialized pathology laboratory that provides on-site intraoperative reports regarding surgical results, thereby maximizing the likelihood of successful breast cancer surgery with a single operation.
We are one of the few health systems in the region with gynecologists who specialize in managing the gynecologic health of breast cancer survivors, including
- management of gynecologic complications of breast cancer care
- non-hormonal management of menopausal symptoms
- risk reduction consultation and state-of-the-art minimally invasive operations for women at high risk for ovarian cancer and other gynecologic malignancies.
Learn more about our breast cancer services offered through the Rogel Cancer Center.
Education and Support
Education, counseling and support are important for every patient. We provide these services through a number of programs, including education and support groups, peer counseling, a reconstruction forum and self-examination instruction. We also provide genetic counseling for women at high-risk for breast disease.
Our faculty has published extensively in the area of breast care and gives numerous lectures around the country on the management of patients with breast diseases. Through our breast fellowship program we have trained and developed the careers of dozens of physicians and scientists, providing them with the knowledge and clinical expertise to care for this growing population of women and to serve as educators and program directors, replicating the University of Michigan Breast Care program at other academic centers around the country.
Make an Appointment
To schedule an appointment or for more information call 734-936-6000.